Winsted City Services and Ordinances

All terrain vehicles (ATVs)

The operation of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) in the city is allowed by operators who are at least 16 years of age and have a valid Minnesota driver’s license, as long as the driver takes the most non-stop, direct route in and out of town. The ATV ordinance is available at city hall, or the city’s website at


The residents of Winsted take extreme pride in the maintenance of their properties. As a result, the City has developed a blight ordinance, which restricts the storage of junk cars, tires, old construction materials, and other debris and garbage. If you feel there is a case of blight in your neighborhood, please contact the city.

Brush/compost site

The city maintains a location for city residents to dispose of brush and compost materials. Contact the city hall for prices and permits.

Building permits

Winsted has adopted the state building code. The city is provided building inspection service by Metro West Inspection Services.

Building permits are needed for a variety of projects including; installation of furnace and air conditioning units, re-roofing, re-siding, sheds, garages, and new construction. Should you have any questions regarding your need for a building permit, please call city hall at (320) 485-2366.

Burning and recreational fires

Recreational fires are allowed within the city of Winsted. Contact the city hall for guidelines for recreational fires.

City utilities

Cable – Cable television is available to all residents from Mediacom Cable. If you would like to connect to cable television or have any problems with cable television, call Mediacom at 800-332-0245. Channel 8 is the local public access channel in Winsted.

Electric – Xcel Energy, customer service: 800-895-4999, emergency or lights out: 800-895-1999; HomeSmart: 800-238-7378, business solution center: 800-481-4700; and McLeod Cooperative Power Association, customer service: (320) 864-3148, after hour outages: 800-927-5685.

Gas – Center Point Energy, customer service: 800-245-2377, gas leak emergency: 800-722-9326. Call Gopher State before you dig, 800-252-1166.

Telephone – TDS Telecom provides local telephone service in Winsted at (320) 485-4111. TDS is located at 316 Pine Street, Monticello, MN 55362.

Curbside recycling service

Recyclable materials are picked up every other week on Tuesdays by Waste Management. Bins must be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. Recyclable materials include newsprint (non-shiny), glass (sorted by color), aluminum, tin cans, and plastics. For information on recycling, contact city hall at (320) 485-2366.

Day care

If you need day care service, you may contact McLeod County Social Services for a current listing of day care providers in the area.

For Winsted residents, call the courthouse’s local number at (320) 395-2568.

Diseased trees

In order to prevent the spread of disease, all diseased trees should be removed as soon as possible.

If you have a tree or trees that you believe may be diseased, call (320) 485-2201 for assistance. Boulevard trees are removed and replaced by the city.

Dog licenses

A license is required for all dogs over 6 months of age. Licenses are renewed annually at city hall for $10. All applications for a license must be accompanied by a statement from a veterinarian indicating that the dog has current vaccinations. City ordinance does require pet owners to clean up and dispose of any animal feces.


The City of Winsted requires a permit prior to installing a fence. Fence permit applications may be picked up at city hall.

Garbage pick-up

Garbage pick-up is provided every Tuesday by Waste Management. containers should be curbside by 7 a.m. The company provides 32-, 64- or 96-gallon containers. Tags can be purchased from Waste Management or the city for excess bags of refuse. Contact Waste Management at 800-960-0008 to set-up service or for questions about billing or garbage pick-up.

House numbers

In order to locate your home in an emergency, owners are required to display their house numbers so they can be seen easily from the street, with a minimum size of 4 inches in height.


The City of Winsted requires a permit prior to any sign being installed. Sign permit applications may be picked up at city hall.

Snowmobile usage

The city allows snowmobilers to drive the most direct route from their house on city streets to outside city limits and return to their home on the same route. No snowmobiling is allowed between the hours of 1 a.m. and one-half hour before sunrise.

Water and sewer

Water and sewer customers are billed by the city on a monthly basis. For more information on your utility bill, contact the utility billing clerk at (320) 485-2366.

Winter parking

From Nov. 1 through March 31, there is no parking on city streets from 2 to 6 a.m. In the case of more than 2 inches of snow, parking is not allowed on any streets until the streets have been cleared of snow.